Resizing rings is something of a daily occurrence for manufacturing jewellers. However it never ceases to amaze me how many times I hear from clients who have been to other jewellers that a ring can not be resized to suit their fingers. While it may be difficult at times to resize a ring, it is rarely impossible. The following is a list of some of the rings that we often resize.
Resizing Engagement Rings
- Simple wedding rings
- Can be as simple as stretching, compressing or tapping to change the size by 1-2 sizes.
- Diamond set engagement rings
- Provided the original settings are secure, changing the size up to at least 3 sizes is no problem.
- Coloured stone engagement rings
- While a little more challenging, as long as the stones are protected from the heat, the change in size should be fine.
- Multi stone engagement rings
- Depending on the way the ring was made, and how many solders were used this ring is also no problem for a trained master jeweller.
- Pave set engagement rings
- At times the most problematic, especially if the stones have been micro pave set. While stones might come loose during the resizing a professional diamond setter, should have no problem tightening the stones.
- Platinum Rings
- Resizing a platinum ring should not be any trouble, as the metal part being heated is usually at the bottom of the ring and far away from the diamonds. Diamonds can be burnt if the high intense flame used to solder platinum is put near the top of the setting.
- Titanium rings
- While a titanium ring can not strictly be resized. Sometimes it can be stretched up half a size, or the inside of the ring can be taken out to increase the internal diameter.
If you ever have any questions about resizing your diamond engagement ring, please don’t hesitate to email me, or post a comment below. If your ring doesn’t sit well, don’t put up with it, come and see us.The Xennox Diamonds team are always here at your disposal to answer any of your jewellery questions. With our onsite master jewellers there is almost no ring that we can’t resize.