I think guys who are buying an engagement ring on their own deserve respect. It can be a really daunting experience and there is a lot of pressure to get it right. Over the last 20 years I have helped a lot of gentlemen choose a beautiful diamond engagement ring for their fiancées. Make sure when you are buying an engagement ring, you make it one she will love forever.
Here are the 7 Mistakes guys make when buying an engagement ring.
- Only look at local chain stores
- If your future fiancée is a one of a kind, then looking in a shop where the ring has a 1000 copies may not be the best start. The quality of mass manufacturing is also rarely comparable to a handmade ring.
- Only do internet research on diamonds
- The internet is great for doing your initial research. But be warned – just because it is on the internet doesn’t make it true or factual. There is a lot of misinformation there. Sometimes a little bit of information can be dangerous. While the internet is a great place to go for some design suggestions it is terrible to use as a price comparison.
- Not seeing a diamond specialist
- A diamond specialist is the only one who can help you navigate the murky waters of diamond grading. I wish I could tell you that it is an exact science, but the truth is, it isn’t. A diamond expert who specialises in high performance diamonds will be able to help you pick a diamond that will blow her away.
- Not knowing what she wants
- One of the most common mistakes I see guys make. Not doing enough personal research into what she likes, and more importantly – what she doesn’t like. A growing trend at the moment is the use of social media to test out her tastes. Social media is a great way to see what she is liking & commenting on.
- Getting sucked into a sale
- There is no such thing as a secret diamond mine, where diamonds are mysteriously 40% cheaper. If someone is offering a repetitive sale multiple times a year, chances are it isn’t genuine. So don’t be pressured into making a decision because the salesperson tells you the sale is about to end.
- Just picking something off the shelf
- Most ladies love to know that you have put some thought into choosing or selecting a ring. So why not have something specially designed and crafted just for her. It is a common myth perpetuated by some stores that custom made rings are expensive. If you know where to go, good quality is affordable.
- Not planning the proposal
- While the process of buying an engagement ring can be consuming. Make sure you put some time into planning the perfect proposal. Presenting her the ring in front of the tv, is not going to earn you any brownie points
If you think i have missed anything, would love you to post it in the comments section below.